EDUCATION : HIGHER – WESTERN TECHNICAL COLLEGE
Western Technical College:
Public Safety Training Center
Artesian Spring Water Becomes Geothermal Source
Imagine the surprise when Western Technical College discovered an artesian well on their Sparta Campus while performing a routine well drilling for their Fire Fighting Program – “Opportunity!” came to their mind.
Western Technical College selected Harwood Engineering Consultants for our specialized expertise to exploit this opportunity for a geothermal application for the expansion and renovation of the 29,000 SF Sparta Public Safety Training Center. The resulting solution first uses harvested artesian spring water as a geothermal source for heating and air conditioning energy, followed by a cascade of the geothermal artesian discharge water to a unique rescue and recovery pond that allows divers to train on simulated submerged vehicles.
The HVAC Mechanicals Include:
- 60 ton Geothermal Plant for Heating Hot Water and Chilled Water
- Low Temperature Gas Fired Backup Hot Water Boilers With Buffer Tanks
- Variable Speed Pumping For Chilled Water and Heating Hot Water
- Variable Volume Air Handling For The Addition With Variable Speed Fans
- Exhaust Air Energy Recovery
- Retrofit of Low Temperature Hot Water Heating Coils to the Existing Mechanical Systems
- LEED Gold Project
Location: Sparta, WI